Christmas Center Ideas
These center ideas are related to the kinderplans.com website. Photographs of these suggestions can be found on that site under the heading "Christmas Theme" and "Christmas Crafts".
Literacy Center Ideas
1. The children will be completing the interactive component in the chosen emergent reader
(related to using their five senses).
2. Match the lower-case letter Christmas trees to the upper-case letters. Younger children can match the letters that are the same. Templates found on the "Christmas" theme website page in the member's area.
3. Play "Alphabet Review" game, "Vowel Fun" game, "What's Missing" game found in the ALL ABOUT ME theme unit found in the link below:
All About Me
4. Sort alphabet pictures beginning with the same sounds. Alphabet pictures found in the member's area under the heading "Alphabet Pictures".
Children can be writing a letter to Santa or how they experience Christmas using their five senses. This activity will vary according to the age of the children you are working with. They will likely need to dictate what they want printed and an adult assistant scribes it for them. A writing template (children print on Santa's beard) can be found in the theme unit.
1. Children can be working in their number booklet found on page 23 in Week 2 Plans in the theme unit. They will be adding the correct amount of stars (sticky stars) to correspond with the number.
2. The children can add the correct amount of decorations to the number tree templates found on the theme unit web page.
3. Children can be counting and sorting Christmas tree decorations according to common characteristics.
Children can test small musical instruments and experience sound and vibrations.
Activities displayed on the website.
Dramatic Play Center
Santa's Workshop as outlined in the theme unit.
A copy of the suggested Christmas books would be placed at this center.
Below you will find suggested books for the "Christmas" theme. You can click on the name of the book to find where the book can be ordered. Press back button to return back to this page.
1. If You Take A Mouse To The Movies by Laura Numeroff
2. The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
3. How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Sueuss
4. The Mouse Before Christmas by Michael Garland
5. The Jolly Christmas Postman by Allan Ahlberg
6. Dream Snow by Eric Carle
7. The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore
8. Mrs. Wishy Washy's Christmas by Joy Cowley and Elizabeth Fuller
9. Christmas Trolls Eve by Jan Brett
10. The Wild Christmas Reindeer by Jan Brett
1. Painting (easels)
2. Blocks (big and small)
3. Sand or Water
5. Overhead transparency (a copy of the emergent reader could be placed here and the children would model read the story).
6. Playdough center
Click on the link below to take a tour of of more Preschool and Kindergarten Activities related to the Christmas theme.
Preschool and Kindergarten Activities - Christmas
More Preschool and Kindergarten Activities - Christmas